Aquinas College regards homework as an extension and enrichment of a process, which begins at school during the lesson. Homework includes activities such as wide reading, revision, completion of work set in class, assignments, preparation for exams and individual research.
- Provides the opportunity to encourage students to develop responsibility for their own learning.
- Enables parental involvement in the student’s education.
- Allows students the opportunity to gather information from a variety of sources such as local libraries, human resources and appropriate sections of the media.
- Provides time for revision of the lesson in order to reinforce and apply basic concepts and principles.
- Provides opportunity for extension work for those who would benefit.
- Is seen as an integral part of the assessment process.
- All homework set by teachers must be recorded in the Student Diary so that it can be checked by both teachers and parents.
- Failure to complete homework will be noted in the Student Diary by the teacher. This needs to be acknowledged by a parent by way of signature and /or comment near the remark.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete any homework missed due to absence from school.
- It is strongly recommended that each student set aside at least an hour per night for completion of set homework.
- In addition to this, regular time should be set aside for individual reading for pleasure. (Approximately 20 – 30 minutes per night)